Sunday, February 10, 2013

Grandmother's Flower Garden

My husband and I have returned from our trip to Seattle. We had a great getaway for my mother's 75th Birthday. I did not make it to any quilt shops, but we did have fun rummaging at a few estate sales. I love finding vintage linens to post at my Etsy site.

While flying, I completed the 19th block for Grandma's Flower Garden Quilt. I started these in about 1994, and have apparently only averaged one per year(!). since it has been in the works for so many years, the blocks are a real mixture of old and new fabrics. This is my 'travel' project, so most of them have been done on airplanes/airports. 8yrs ago I finally started writing the dates and places on the back of each block , after I realized I couldnt remember which one I had made first.


This one actually says AZ , Nov 2012 because I did most of it while visiting the in-laws during the holidays.
 



Here is the incomplete block that actually says Seattle, Feb 2013.










And here are some of them last time I 'auditioned' border fabric. Funny, I saved a green for years for this quilt, several times wanting to cut into, then switched to a different green a few years ago, and now I am considering something like this mint green shabby chic. I dont think I actually have enough of this particular one though..
 
I really need to decide on a fabric and start the bordering patches though.
I prefer someone inherit this as a completed quilt!
Maybe peach? Yellow-orange? Or peach-on-white?

2 comments:

  1. I love the old-fashioned Grandmother's Flower Garden like this one so much better than the modern versions of the hexagons. Yours are beautiful! I can't wait to see what border you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your patches look great! Makes me want to learn to make hexagons!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...